BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Saturday, August 7th

This would be the first day I would see Jameson since he left for his trip two weeks ago! I'd seen the pictures Kevin and my brother had sent back, but it certainly wasn't the same as seeing him in person. I couldn't wait to put my arms around him and smell his warm, sweet skin again.

I got up at 4:00am and prepared to make the drive down to Children's Hospital. My oldest son, Evan, went along while my husband stayed home with the youngest boys.

I walked in the hospital room and saw my beautiful son. He was sound asleep, still exhausted from the long trip home. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I stroked his hair and kissed his forehead. He woke up and sleepily said, "Hi mom... " He smiled at me and I fell head over heels in love with him all over again.



Jameson has 100% feeling back in his legs and feet. He can bend and stretch them normally. The only things he can't do, are stand and walk. He needed to use the bathroom and Kevin helped him in, by holding him around the waist. I was saddened to see Jameson's legs and feet dragging behind him like a newborn. He could bear very little weight on them, and it was as though he had forgotten how to put one foot in front of the other.



Jameson was able to use the toilet and then Kevin took him into a walk-in shower room down the hall to give him a bath. The wheelchair is made of a waterproof PVC pipe, and the seat is an open toilet-type one. What an ingenious idea. This is such a time saver, and allows Jameson to get a thorough shower.

Jameson seems to like the hospital, its amenities and the staff. The food is good and he eats a lot of it. He orders everything on the menu and puts it away in record amounts.



As for treatment, in California, Jameson received a five-day round of a high-dose steroid. Known to cause blood sugar levels to rise, they monitored his numbers carefully. His blood sugar never got above 200. (Another number for Jameson to remember!) He also received intravenous gamma globulin. He always experienced a euphoria after receiving this treatment. It was also recommended that Jameson then receive plasma replacement therapy. His new doctor, Anne Connolly, disagreed....

After a couple of hours, Kevin, Evan and I left the hospital. It was hard saying goodbye to Jameson again. I drove Kevin home and Evan stayed with him, since he hadn't seen him in a week. I made plans to visit Jameson again the next day.



0 comments: